The Scotch Malt Whisky Society was founded in the 1970’s by a man named Pip Hills, who did a whisky tasting with his friends. He always offered one cask. As the society got bigger, they still shared only one cask, because they were able to taste the really expensive onces then. Nowadays a membership will cost you about $129, but you can you have plenty of benefits included.
• Access to purchase exclusive single cask whiskies which are only available through SMWS.
• A quarterly subscription to Unfiltered– THE must-read whisky magazine if you are serious about single malt whisky.
• Access to Members’ Rooms in the UK – Edinburgh, Leith, and London.
• Invitations to tastings and events near you.
• New membership welcome kit, complete with three 100ml bottles of Society whisky, a membership handbook, and a copper Society lapel pin.
Now the very important thing. Once you make it through your first year, there is a $70 renewal fee, which, when you think about it, is less than most good bottles of Scotch. Think about it, it might be worth it.
Report by vintagestyle.eu
Photos by smwsa.com