The term ‘Selfie’ was added to Oxford dictionary in 2013, but it doesn’t mean that this style of taking pictures is recent. In fact, selfies have been popular throughout the history.
These photos may not show much creativeness and style unlike today’s selfies, maybe because they didn’t have the privilege to review their selfies way back then, but one thing’s for sure: selfies were already a thing before it was cool. Here’s a collection of 14 vintage selfies of various people who took them without iPhone filter and still made them look good.
1. Willi Ruge, German Photojournalist taking a down-top selfie in 1927.
2. George Harrison, the lead guitarist for the Beatles taking a pinhole selfie during his India trip in 1966.
3. Charles Ebbets Clyde, an American Photographer who was famous for taking extremely dangerous selfies between 1920s to 1930s.
4. One of the first outdoor selfies ever taken by using huge mirror to catch the reflection. Here’s a self-portait of Paul Stang in 1910.
5. Vivian Maier, American street photographer making use of mirrors to create the first infinite loop selfie.
6. Neil Armstrong taking a picture of himself.
7. Probably the first lesbian lover selfies ever taken, ca. 1900.
8. James McDivitt, Ed White walking in space over Hawaii, Gemini 4, June 1965.
9. Selfie from 1925 showing the photographer using a selfie stick.
10. A self-portrait of Dutch photographer, Frits Rotgans in a jet fighter in 1966.
11. Jackie Kennedy, Ethel Kennedy and John F. Kennedy in 1954
12. Woman taking a mirror selfie around the 1940s.
13.Terry Fincher taking a daring parachuter selfie taken in 1966.
14. Group of 5 photographers taking the first group selfie in NYC around 1920.
Report by vintag.es